So, as I’ve posted a couple times already….this summer has been ridiculously busy. Between church events, mission weeks, work, and family being in town I think it has been almost as busy as last semester (which is saying something, because I can’t even remember all I did last semester). Anyway, over the last couple weeks since my last blog update I’ve had a few random thoughts that I’ve been meaning to post. So, I’ve decided to put them all in one blog 🙂 So here goes nothing!
1. Kids and Energy- As I mentioned, I’ve been spending a lot of time with my family lately and even recently went to a big family reunion (I also just got finished babysitting my little cousin who is 8 years old) and all I have to say is were do these kids get all their energy. I mean I’m a pretty busy person and I have a lot of energy, but kids these days just seem to have an over abundance of energy. They never want to stop! But along with that energy comes an innocence that I believe we could all learn from. Not only do children look up to adults to help them learn about the world, but they genuinely look at the world and see it as a magical place with things that are meant to discovered and explored. I strongly believe that as college students and adults, we have gotten used to the day to day grid, the seemingly rat-race of life, and we forget to look outside of our own boxes and see the wonders of the world that surround us. Life isn’t always about money and fixing problems, its about living life to the fullest and doing what you love to do.
2. Reality T.V.- My father and I are avid Big Brother watchers. And yes the show is full of lies, cheating, backstabbing, etc. But it’s a very entertaining show, it’s kind of like watching a big train wreck….you just can’t take your eyes off of it. Now as far as I’m concerned the last 14 seasons have been relatively ok, yet it still shocks me sometimes what these contestants will do on the show when they are fully aware that “America is watching 24/7”. The biggest shocker of the season so far has been that one of the players has been making some very racist comments about other house guests ethnic groups, yet when she was confronted by someone about this she blatantly said it was not true. This is why I would never go on a show like Big Brother. Not only do your true colors show, but everything is put out there for EVERYONE to know and it truly effects your personal life afterwards. Which is definitely not worth half a million dollars.
3. Writing- Update on my book…..well it hasn’t been started yet. But I’ve recently acquired a old electric typewriter which I have been messing around with for a while now. Because of this rather awesome gift, I have been playing around with the idea of actually getting one of the really old typewriters. My question to ya’ll is….does anyone know the best place to look for one?
4. Mission Trip- This past week my mom and I took our church Youth Group on a week long mission trip. We stayed in town, but for a full week we worked at the local Domestic Violence Shelter. We cleaned their whole building, painted a jungle mural on the wall, and did some much needed work around the church as well. I was so proud of these young guys and gals for their enthusiasm for helping the shelter out. They worked very hard and really showed the light of Christ by doing great deeds. We were exhausted by the end of the week, but it was a good feeling to just put aside my busy schedule and give back to the community.
5. Disciples University/Christian Young Adults Fellowship (C.Y.A.F.)- Those of you who know me, know that I am largely involved in my church and the ministries that we support. Well let’s add another thing to my list 🙂 We are starting a college group at our church and I am spear-heading the movement. So far I’ve got a teacher, a room, and a small group of college students who are very eager to start the group. We got the name, Disciples University, from the idea of Monster’s University, and the young adults are running with the idea. We are creating shirts, painting a mural, cleaning up the room, and are gearing up for what I hope will be a very fun and interesting first semester for our group. We are also planning on starting an MTSU Disciples group at the Middle Tennessee State University campus here in town so that we can invite and be in fellowship with Disciples of Christ from all over Tennessee. This looks like a very promising group and if anyone is interested in joining just comment below and I can get you some information about either or both groups 🙂
Well that’s basically it. I’ve been busy and seem to keep getting busier but I’ll always have some time to update what’s going on/some of my thoughts throughout the week.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful week. And don’t forget to take a break every once in awhile to smell the roses!
DFTBA (let me know if you know what this means too! :D)